Tales and observations from a stranger, in Abu Dhabi, a very strange land, and now to beyond and back

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Flying Visit

I was back, again, in Abu Dhabi for a 2 day visit over Ramadan. Strange to see what has changed. I would not want the restrictions that there are in Saudi Arabia with no restaurants open in the day time and not never no booze (officially), but was surprised to see people eating and chewing gum during the day openly. The bars are also open in Abu Dhabi after 7pm during Ramadan, the first time I can remember this in a long time.

I respect the right to choose to fast or not, but if you are in a country where the majority do fast then it is poor taste to opening ignore the rules and eat. Perhaps I am over sensitive but I never would be eating in daylight in public. In fact this year as I was only over for 2 days I fasted during the day -still drank some water though, don't have the power of faith I guess.

Just after the start of Ramadan last year was shopping with a friend and they opened a drink in the Co-op and started to drink it. My cry to stop was met with I'm going to pay for it! Sometimes it is hard to remember the complete change in the rules.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there!!

nice blog. keep writing!! Just discovered it by chance!!

Am looking for people to join me on kilimanjaro expedition. some details on my blog http://travel.blogspirit.com

9:05 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home