Tales and observations from a stranger, in Abu Dhabi, a very strange land, and now to beyond and back

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Another one bites the dust

I knew it was going to happen; the signs had been there for several months. When it did happen it still wasn’t any easier. I had delayed renewing the lease on the flat as I was being told my work would go elsewhere.

I leave at the end of the month. I know that it is final as they have my passport for cancellation. Bugger.

I may put more blogs like the previous one, to counteract the idea that everything is normal here. We all self censor, because we do not want to loose the freedom we have. Perhaps we are selfish and greedy, but that is life here after all. You feel good giving the grocery packer a couple of dirhams coz it is a significant proportion of his wages and you ignore the larger injustices with the majority of workers.

On the other hand there is always a chance I can get another job here in the future, and I don’t want to screw that up!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird - it seems we all live in denial - weird how people who is so vocal back home about human rights, animal rights, the environment etc. can be so totaly silent when they are here ... self censor or is it just that people who take chances as in working as expats are just a selfish?

Funny how you can get used to anything though - much be similar as to what happen to the Germans a few times ....

5:25 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home