Tales and observations from a stranger, in Abu Dhabi, a very strange land, and now to beyond and back

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Back in the UAE

Over here for a business trip. Just reminded me about the things you take for granted here.

Toilet roll that are too big for the holders, so you have to gently ease them out for the first 20 or so pieces.
Salesmen that say sincerely that something is multi region when it says region 2 on the box (or yes we will have HDMI or teletext for TV's)
Taxi drivers that will take you across the city for 6 dirhams
Shortages and equally unexplained gluts of items for sale
Comforters - why? Every time I get to the airport there are TWN taking cheap comforters with them to their home country.
Ramadan Kareem and the usual rumours that the bars in Abu Dhabi will be open during Ramadan. They won't but Dubai will.
Plastic seat covers in taxis - still irritates me.
Air conditioning that works - even in 40+C
Service with a smile - and it is genuine
Pasminas for 20 dirhams - keep thinking I should export and run a car boot stall
Liptons yellow label tea. I always end up carrying some back to the UK with me. (Coals to Newcastle I hear from the back)
Medicine without prescription - why do I need to see a doctor every time I want to get a ventolin?

I miss it here, but life is just as different in the UK. But who would be interested?

3 Comments:

Blogger Keef said...

Welocme back to the good ole YOO AAAY EEEH!

5:41 pm

 
Blogger Wendy said...

Ah yes... The joys of self diagnosis!!!

8:04 am

 
Anonymous offshore said...

Hi there to every one, the contents present at this web page are actually amazing for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.
offshore company dubai

6:02 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home